- Created: Sunday, 19 August 2012 13:47
After the failure of separating the selection trials from the national championships this year – a move that diminished the standard of both events – they will again be held concurrently as the climax of the season, in Sydney from 11-14 April, 2013.
The world championships selection policy is yet to be announced, and will be dependent on the outcome of a review of High Performance currently being conducted by Athletics Australia, and the announcement of the qualifying standards by the IAAF at their November Council meeting.
In the lead up to the national championships eight grand prix meets will be conducted, commencing with the Zatopek:10 on 8 December.
“Athletics Australia and its Member Associations are confident the calendar will capitalise on the fantastic performances of the Australian Flame at the Olympic Games,” said Athletics Australia CEO, Dallas O’Brien.
“Once again, it has international events such as the IAAF World Challenge and the IAAF Race Walking Challenge and as they have in the past, our best talent, such as Sally who arrived home this morning, is sure to face off with international stars such as world record holder David Rudisha and Olympic champion Valerie Adams.
“Excitingly, we will also have events in every Australian state, ensuring a large number of the Australian public can enjoy world class athletics in their own backyard.”
With Sydney hosting the national championships, the nation’s most successful meet for the past four years running, the Sydney Track Classic, has been scheduled a month earlier than the Melbourne Track Classic, and will provide an interesting challenge for Athletics Australia in securing the international talent expected for both meets.
With 2013 being a World Cross Country year, a trial race will be held in Canberra in January, while the Australian Junior Championships, which have grown from strength to strength since their remodelling in 2009, will be held over six days in Perth in March.
2012/13 Athletics Season – Major Dates
- 10 November – NSW 3000m Championships
- 17-18 November – NSW Relay Championships
- 22 November – Victorian 5000m Championships
- 1-2 December – Australian All Schools Championships
- 8 December – Zatopek:10
- 9 December – Australian 50km Walk Championships (Melbourne)
- 19 January – Australian Youth Olympic Festival (Sydney)
- 20 January – World Cross Country Selection Trial (Canberra)
- 2 February – Hunter Track Classic
- 8-10 February – NSW Junior Championships
- 16 February – Adelaide Track Classic
- 16 February – NSW 5000m Championships
- 16-17 February – Australian Junior Mulit-Event Championships (Adelaide)
- 23 February – Briggs Athletics Classic (Hobart)
- 24 February – Oceania & Australian 20km Walk Championships (Hobart)
- 1-3 March – NSW Championships
- 9 March – Sydney Track Classic
- 13-17 March – Australian Junior Championships (Perth)
- 16 March – Perth Track Classic
- 23 March – Brisbane Track Classic
- 29 March – 1 April – Stawell Gift
- 6 April – Melbourne Track Classic
- 12-14 April – Australian Championships & World Championships Selection Trial (Sydney)